28 October 2008

The Call of the Wild

"It filled him with a great unrest and strange desires. It caused him to feel a vague, sweet gladness, and he was aware of wild yearnings and stirrings for he knew not what. Sometimes he pursued the call into the forest, looking for it as though it were a tangible thing . . ."

-Jack London, The Call of the Wild, Chapter 7: The Sounding of the Call


This is the beginning of a month long motorcycle excursion South: through Missouri, Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas. I hope to see some new country, take a few pictures, visit friends and maybe, satiate my wanderlust, or just encourage it. My saddle bags are packed, and although a day behind schedule, I am comfortably filled with excitement and a healthy dose of trepidation for my departure in the morning. We will see how long this blog last, as I will be camping most nights and my only connection to the internet and rest of the world will be my phone and maybe a few post cards.